Relax... Have Fun!

Building & Zoning

The City of Hinckley's Building and Zoning Department helps to ensure the safety of residents within the City limits, by enforcing the City's and the State's building codes.

All Hinckley residents are strongly encouraged to use only licensed contractors when considering any remodeling or new addition projects to their home or existing structures. The City stresses the importance of using a licensed, bonded and insured contractor by reminding the local resident that they could be liable for any injuries received by non-licensed workers and that without the assurance of using a licensed, qualified contractor , the resident may well be liable for any damage incurred during the project with little or no recourse to the homeowner in case a dispute arises. To verify that a contractor is licensed, you may access the Department of Labor & Industry website.

For remodeling projects to existing homes, homeowners are encouraged to drop by with the plans for the project in order to ensure the project meets the codes and requirements currently in place. Permit fees for new construction and other specific projects are based on the value of the project in accordance with the State of Minnesota Building Code currently in use by the city. 


The City's Planning Commission is responsible for ensuring development within the city meets the standards of the Comprehensive Plan and the zoning code. The Planning Commission is scheduled to meet the 4th Tuesday of every month at 7:00 pm in the Community Room, and the commission holds the public hearings for variances, conditional use permits, and other land use proposals. 

When is a permit required?

The first step before beginning any project is to establish whether or not it requires a permit. If you are at all uncertain as to whether or not a permit is required, please contact the Building Department to find out.  

As stated in the 2015 MN Building Code 1300.0120:  "An owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing system, or other equipment, the installation of which is regulated by the code; or cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit."

Can I do the work myself?   When is a contractor required to be licensed?

The following downloadable documents from the MN Department of Labor and Industry can help answer these questions

And as always, if you are ever unsure or have further questions, please contact the Building Department- we're here to help!

Permit Fees?  

The cost for funding the code enforcement program is supported by building and other permit fees generated by construction in the community.
Please contact the Building Deptartment for a permit fee estimate.